Re: [css3-text] text-emphasis-position

(12/05/04 21:34), Florian Rivoal wrote:
> As the spec says, the preferred value of text-emphasis-position is
> language dependent ('above right' for Japanese, 'below right' for
> Chinese).
>
> Because of that, I think we should also accept 'auto', and use it as
> the default value. When the language is not known, it would do the
> same as the current default ('above right'), but if the language is
> known, it would switch to the appropriate behavior.
>
> What do you think?

This was previously a complex matrix[1] where there's even differences
between Simplified Chinese ('below right') and Traditional Chinese
('above right'). Given that encoding this logic into a CSS value is a
pain, I think keeping the current initial value as it is is better. And
we can debate this at the default UA style sheet level if we want.

My personal opinion is that we probably shouldn't have this difference
in the default UA style sheet either. Chinese authors don't use emphasis
dots as much as Japanese authors, and I haven't seen a Chinese book with
emphasis dots for a while. On the other hand, you see quite a lot of
emphasis dots in Japanese manga.

The remaining question is whether we should make authors who prefer
underlining emphasis dots happy by making 'text-emphasis-position' part
of the 'text-emphasis' shorthand. I have no strong opinion about this at
the moment.

[1]
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/csswg/raw-file/213b628d7255/css3-text/Overview.html#text-emphasis-position

Cheers,