Re: [css3-text] feedback on 'word-break: keep-all;'

(12/05/04 14:22), Ambrose LI wrote:
> 2012/5/4 fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>:
>>
>> Latin *already* keeps consecutive letters together. What do you mean here?
>
> The scenario where a hyphen is indiscriminately considered a valid
> break point, as mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

Note that 'hyphen: none' prevents breaking after hyphen. (How crazy that
we have five properties controlling line breaks.)

Can we move that to 'word-break'?

> But since we are talking about CJK here, I *think* I have asked this
> same question before too, but maybe I should ask again: Suppose we
> have the following example sentence:
>
> 我們今次的例會邀請到陳大文教授講解公共交通的重要性。
>
> and we want the following (where each · denotes a possible break point):
>
> 我們·今次·的·例會·邀請·到·陳大文教授·講解·公共交通·的·重要性。
>
> I expect keep-all to be able to accomplish this, but for some reason I
> remember being told that this is not in fact the case. The explanation
> in http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/ seems to neither confirm nor
> deny this. Is clarification needed for keep-all, or have I missed
> something obvious?

Suppose you have a segmentation program that can insert zwsp(s) at word
boundaries well, you could do that as a preparatory step and you should
be able to keep words from breaking with 'word-break: keep-all'.

So yeah, I think zwsp should be included here, although I have no idea
why 'word-spacing' is not allowed to exapand around zwsp.

> In any case, if keep-all is meant to *only* apply to CJK text this
> needs to be clarified.

Having said that, what I described is pretty theoretical. I pretty much
think 'keep-all' is not for CJK but for Korean only. My guess is that
it's not a good idea to change anything for embedded English text in
Korean when 'keep-all' is specified, but I might be wrong and I don't know.

Cheers,
Kenny