Re: Fwd:[css4-mediaqueries] Bandwidth Media Queries

Am 30.03.2012 11:14 schrieb Lea Verou:
> Looks like I forgot to comment on it. I think it's useful but hard or
> even downright impossible to implement:
>
> - I doubt UAs or even the OS has access to this sort of information (at
> least without running some sort of speedtest).
> - Bandwidth is not static, it can fluctuate even on the same network. So
> to find out, the browser would have to run a speedtest at a specified
> interval. This would slow down performance or even be unacceptable in
> certain cases (e.g. data roaming)

1. Would it be actually possible to solve mixed-up cases like this?
<source src="someimg.jpg" media="(min-width: 800px)">
<source src="otherimg.jpg" media="(min-bandwidth: 25Mbps)">

2. From a user's POV, I might like some preference setting. On a mobile
device I could have an awesome fast connection but a terribly expensive
data fee, in this case I would want to receive the smallest possible
file (maybe along with some kind of UI that lets me manually download
the alternatives), while the media query would match the big one. Thus,
this kind of thing should be specced in a way that lets UAs figure out
the relations between the resources.

Just the thoughts of a humble author - if they may be inadequate, feel
free to ignore them.