Re: [css3-background] border images on table-collapsed table elements

On 03/06/2012 06:16 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> 6.1. Image Source: the ‘border-image-source’ property
>

> I have two comments about this section, esp. related to cases of
> table-collapsed table elements. Firstly,
>
>    # If the value is ‘none’ or if the image cannot be displayed, the
>    # border styles will be used.
>
> It's not too clear whether this covers cases when 'border-image-source'
> doesn't apply (i.e. on internal table-collapsed table elements). "cannot
> be displayed" seems like "fails to download" or "format not supported".
> I suggest we expand this sentence a bit.

Replaced with

   | If the value is ‘none’ or if the image cannot be displayed (or the property
   | doesn't apply), the border styles will be used; otherwise the element's borders
   | are not drawn and the border image is drawn as described in the sections below.

Let us know if that resolves the issue.

> Also,
>
>    # Applies to:
>    #
>    # All elements, except internal table elements when
>    #‘border-collapse’ is ‘collapse’
>
> I'll note that in both Firefox 13a and Chromium 18, border images don't
> show up on 'table' and 'inline-table' elements with 'border-collpase:
> collapse'. Test case:
>
> data:text/html,<!DOCTYPE html><div style='border: 1em double
> orange;display:table; border-collapse: collapse;
> border-image:url("http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/border.png")
> 27 round;'>TEST</div>  (unprefixed)
>
> It's not too clear to me why 'border-iamge-source' applies to 'table'
> and 'inline-table' in the collapsing border model but not other table
> elements, but if that is the intention, I think
>
>    # Specifies an image to use instead of the border styles given by the
>    # ‘border-style’ properties and as an additional background layer
>    # for the element.
>
> should be clarified a bit about whether this affects border conflict
> resolution. I suppose it doesn't.

We see two ways to handle this:

Proposal A: 'border-image' doesn't affect layout, but may result in some
inconsistencies when the table's border-image takes effect but its
border-width. Proposed text:

   | when applied to a border-collapsed table, all of the collapsed borders
   | along the table's edge are invisible.

Proposal B: When 'border-image' is not ''none'' on a table, its borders
take precedence over all others during border conflict resolution. Proposed
text:

   | When 'border-image' is not ''none'' on a table, its borders take
   | precedence over all others during border conflict resolution.

Both options preserve the fact that only computed values, not border image

~fantasai