Re: [css3-mediaqueries] ratio

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, Florian Rivoal wrote:

(Thanks Bert for bouncing me this email as I'm not on www-style).

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:56:40 +0200, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I was just wondering what was the rationale for allowing spaces between
>> <num> and '/' and between '/' and <num> in [1]. It might be better to have
>> no space, as '/' is used elsewhere either as an operator, or as a 'state
>> change' where it can happen between two numbers as well (and mandating one
>> space would help disambiguating them).
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/CR-css3-mediaqueries-20100727/#values
>
> We saw no need to forbid spaces when this was designed. In other places
> where we have slashes, we allow spaces too. Since no ambiguity arises
> from the way <ratio> is used, and since we have multiple inter-operable
> implementations, it does not make much sense to change it now.

Well, look at the definition of <resolution>:
<<
The <resolution> value is a positive <number> immediately followed by a
unit identifier ('dpi' of 'dpcm').

Why not allowing spaces between '42' and 'dpi'?
It is easy to discriminate between a number, a percentage, a dimension
etc... why suddenly make a special case for ratio?

Also, by "and since we have multiple inter-operable implementations, it
does not make much sense to change it now." Do you mean that they all pass
tests containing "ratio(16                /                9)" or just
that they pass "ratio(16/9)"...
In the following test suite (linked form the CR doc) [2], I see only tests
for "ratio(x/y)" without spaces, so I don't think that it will be hugely
disruptive to do that change.
Cheers,

[2] http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/MediaQueries/20120229/test_media_queries.html

--
Baroula que barouleras, au tiƩu toujou t'entourneras.

         ~~Yves