Re: [css3-fonts] simplifying font-variant-ligatures, proposal 2

Eric Muller:
> On 2/22/2012 9:22 PM, John Daggett wrote:
>>  font-variant-ligatures: normal | inherit | no-ligatures | [ common-ligatures || discretionary-ligatures || historical-ligatures ]
> [...]
>> The only situation this wouldn't cover would be one where an author explicitly wants to disable common ligatures but wants to enable only historical ligatures (…).
>
> More generally, I don't see how to write a rule that disables something (…) without knowing what's enabled in the parent context.

Do you have a usecase, though? The WG shoots down ideas on a regular basis that are technically possible but unlikely to be used.

We could still introduce subsubproperties in a later level nevertheless:

                                     fo(n|rma)t    true     false    parent
  font-variant-ligatures-common:        _auto_ |  normal  |  none  | inherit
  font-variant-ligatures-contextual:    _auto_ |  normal  |  none  | inherit
  font-variant-ligatures-discretionary:  auto  |  normal  | _none_ | inherit
  font-variant-ligatures-historical:     auto  |  normal  | _none_ | inherit
  font-variant-ligatures-required:       auto  | _normal_ |  none  | inherit

(Underscores mark initial value.)