Re: [css3-flexbox] "definite" sizes?

On 03/11/2012 07:26 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2012 8:49 PM, "Daniel Holbert" <dholbert@mozilla.com
> <mailto:dholbert@mozilla.com>> wrote:
>  > On 03/11/2012 05:29 PM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
>  >> How would this sound as a definition:
>  >> <ins>
>  >> Some lengths that are inputs to this algorithm may have values that
> are specified exactly or are resolved prior to application of this
> algorithm. Such lengths are referred to as <def>Definite</def>.
>  >> </ins>
>  > Hmm... So then, what lengths are _not_ definite?  Just "auto", or is
> there anything else?
>
> I believe that by "definite" I meant "lengths that don't need layout to
> resolve".  I think this is probably equivalent to what Alex said.

I think if we change Alex's "or are resolved" to "or can be resolved",
then yeah, it sounds like those are equivalent.

> Counter-examples are 'auto' and percentages.

Well -- percentages **with a fixed ("definite"? :)) size to resolve
against** would be definite, right?

If we've got a width:25% flexbox item inside of a width:400px horizontal
flexbox, then I'd say that flexbox item has a "definite size", and we'd
want to treat it as such when applying the flexbox layout algorithm.