Re: [css3-flexbox] "definite" sizes?

On Mar 11, 2012 8:49 PM, "Daniel Holbert" <dholbert@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 03/11/2012 05:29 PM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
>>
>> The word came from Tab's text, not sure it is defined elsewhere, but I
am using it too for consistency. Here is my understanding of what it is:

>> "definite" is something that is set to a specific size (such as pixels)
or is determined by layout outside of flexbox (such a percent size or auto,
where parent layout has specific rules for handling auto).

>> For example, if a flexbox item in a horizontal flexbox has
"height:auto;" and flexbox has "height:100px; flex-align:stretch;", the
child's height is "definite" and resolves to parent height minus child's
margins, border and padding. If the child is in turn a vertical flexbox,
its height is its main size, and it is "definite".

>> How would this sound as a definition:
>>
>> <ins>
>> Some lengths that are inputs to this algorithm may have values that are
specified exactly or are resolved prior to application of this algorithm.
Such lengths are referred to as <def>Definite</def>.
>> </ins>
>

> Hmm... So then, what lengths are _not_ definite?  Just "auto", or is
there anything else?

I believe that by "definite" I meant "lengths that don't need layout to
resolve".  I think this is probably equivalent to what Alex said.

Counter-examples are 'auto' and percentages. Some of the new width/height
keywords introduced in Writing Modes also fall into this, like
'fit-content'.

~TJ