Re: [css-hierarchies] HTML style attribute

Good catch. I'm in favor of a new cascading level, too. The issue should be
reviewed by the Scoped Stylesheets editors.

BTW, here's a blog post I found when searching for the scoped stylesheet
proposal which is probably worth reading:
http://www.webdirections.org/blog/on-the-abominable-proposed-html5-scoped-attribute-for-style-elements/.
Personnally, I tend to agree. I would prefer to extend the style attribute
than create a new kind of stylesheet that has many backwards-compatibility
issues. Allow CSS Hierarchies in the style attribute would be way better
(because it's ignored by incompatible browsers and not applied to the whole
document) and would only need the introduction of CSS Hiearchies to have it
working. Additionnaly, that would discourage large scoped styles (because
they lay in an attribute which we tend to keep inline) and this is a good
design-pattern enforcer.

The CSS OM extension API would be very simple: "element.style.cssRule" would
return the CSS Rule defined by the style attribute, and the CSS Hierarchies
proposal only have to specify how it interacts with the CSSRule OM (it
already does).

@Daniel: I don't think this thread is kept alive artificially. There's a
real issue here because if we wait for too long we'll end up with
contradictory or bad proposals implemented in browsers with no (easy) way to
go back. The discussion should happen now, before implementations widen.