Re: [css3-flexbox] Does 'order' take <number> or <integer>?

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Hi www-style,
>
> I just noticed that 'order' is currently specced as taking <number> in
> the flexbox ED.
>
> I'd had it in my head that it was supposed to take <integer>, based on
> the first TPAC flexbox resolution last year:
>
>   RESOLVED: flex-order as <integer>
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Nov/0711.html
>
> Was there a subsequent decision / resolution to change it back to
> <number>, after TPAC?  Or perhaps that spec-update just got lost?

Huh.  I... must have missed that when I was making post-TPAC edits.  I
guess we need to bring this up and see if we're okay with re-resolving
to stay with <number>, or changing the spec back to <integer>.

> Incidentally, all of the 'order' examples in the spec use <integer>
> values right now.  (which of course are valid <number> values, too --
> but if we really did want it to take <number>, it might be good to
> include a few non-integer examples.)

The problem is that the use-case for <number> is basically "editting a
page later, when you realize that you want to slot something in
between two other things that are already consecutive integers, but
don't feel like changing one of them to be smaller or larger".  Hard
to illustrate in an example, I think.

~TJ