RE: [css3-lists] maintainance of counter styles WAS: Khmer consonants as list markers

[Florian Rivoal:]

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> >> I suppose this all boils down to why we don't want to define this
> >> normatively.
> >> If we think it'd be harmful for browsers to ship with these
> >> definitions built-in then I'm not sure why we'd want to tell authors
> >> to use them.
>
> Authors can check that the proposed list do what they want, and are free
> not to use them if they don't, and to publish fixed versions if they find
> a fix. If they're built into the browser, and turn out to be wrong, we may
> be stuck with wrong definitions using a valuable part of the name space.

I wouldn't assume anyone will dutifully check for updates to this list and
adjust their content.

It seems the main argument for not building this in browsers is that:
a) we very much believe these are not final and will change
b) these changes mean browsers must either take in future change(s) and render
existing content differently or ignore updates and preserve obsolete definitions.

That seems a reasonable argument to keep this informative.