Re: [css3-box] padding: auto

Le 19/07/2012 03:01, Sylvain Galineau a écrit :
> Then you also need to define whether/how this feeds into min/max-width/height calculations,
> among other things...

Yes, and don’t forget the various layout modes. CSS 2.1 has not only
inlines and blocks but also inline-blocks, floats, absopos, tables
(fixed layout or auto layout). Then there is multicol, page-margin
boxes, flexbox, other CSS 3 layout modules ...

All of these define a different set of interactions between
width/height, padding, borders and margins. Yes, the general idea of how
'margin: auto' is always the same but it is defined separately every
time. Just look at chapter 10 of css21.

The rules for handling percentages are defined for each property but are
otherwise always the same. But 'auto' values require a special
treatment, different for each layout mode. Adding 'auto' values will
increase the complexity in each of them.

I’m not saying 'padding: auto' is impossible and I don’t know why the
::outside pseudo-element was abandoned, but I think that the latter is
much more realistic.

Regards,
--
Simon Sapin