Re: [CSS2.1][CSSOM] "Used Value" and "auto"

On 7/13/12 7:56 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 21:46:56 +0200, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
>
>> In contrast, the following length valued properties that accept 'auto'
>> have
>> a distinct used value when display is not none:
>>
>> bottom
>> height
>> left
>> right
>> top
>> width
>
> Not quite, I think. I don't see any part of CSS 2.1 that defines the
> used value of bottom/left/right/top for non-positioned elements.

Indeed.  In Gecko, the used value (and the return value of
getComputedStyle) for non-positioned elements for those properties is
the specified value.

-Boris

P.S.  Also note that the used value computation is somewhat different in
Gecko for relatively positioned and absolutely positioned elements,
since those use the offsets is somewhat different ways.