RE: [css3-grid-layout] [css3-layout] default layout of children

I'm just saying that items that have the same Grid position overlap by design - it's not a problem to be solved.  However, I'm fine with defining better ways to resolve those positions automatically with the auto placement algorithm.  We can also consider making the auto placement algorithm on by default so that authors don’t experience "data loss" after setting display to grid.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:05 PM
To: Phil Cupp
Cc: fantasai; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-grid-layout] [css3-layout] default layout of children

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Phil Cupp <pcupp@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Stacking elements on top of each other shouldn't be considered data loss.  By that definition abspos elements all cause data loss.  Grid layout and positioning are similar in that that both allow for precise positioning of content.  The difference is the position on the grid is determined by referencing grid lines instead of defining a distance from the origin.

Abspos *does* cause data loss if you try and use it for layout without some well-written JS.  That's why abspos sucks.  Grid is a lot better because it lets elements affect each other's alignment, respond to available space, etc.  Don't try and use abspos behavior as a defense for Grid behavior.  ^_^