Re: [css3-regions][css3-gcpm] Thoughts on Plan A and Plan B

Brad Kemper wrote:

 > > I'm concerned about complexity, though. I fear that authors may face
 > > combinatorial explosions when trying to create page templates for
 > > various-sized devices, pages with one figure, two figures, pages with
 > > one flow and one figure, pages with two flows with one figure, two
 > > flows with three figures etc. etc.
 >
 > There's probably no getting around that though, if authors want
 > that power. I can imagine doing Web page templates first, then
 > mobile, then tablet. Or maybe mobile first.

The alternative approach is to attach layout information to elements.

For example, instead of using page templates (or media queries) to say:

  if the page is wider than x, use y columns, else use z columns

one specifes the optimal width of columns on the element:

  article { columns: 12em }

Or, instead of picking a template that says:

  use me if you have an article with only text and pull-quote
  elements; display the first pull-quote between the first two columns,
  30% down from the top, and discard all the other pullquotes

one attaches information to each pull-quote element

  .pull-quote {
     float me between column 1 and column 2,
     30% down from the top,
     delete me if I crash into another float;
  }

Page templates are top-down; element-based layouts are bottom-up.

Page templates are 5-year plans; element-based layouts are town
markets.

Page templates are grand castles waiting to be filled; element-based
layouts are organically grown villages.

We may need both.

But I believe more designs than not can be achived with the
element-based approach. And I'm afraid of unfinished castles.

-h&kon (village guy)