Re: [css3-regions] different events, speed boost when using many regions

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 12/18/12 8:45 AM, "Johannes Wilm" <johannes.wilm@sourcefabric.org>
> >
> >It would therefore be nice to instead have several different events:
> >

> >-- One event for when a certain node moved from one region to another.
>
> My team has discussed splitting the event into two different events,
> basically into the two you describe below. I'm interested in getting a
> better idea of what you mean by the event above.
>
> For your footnote example, you would be adding an event listener to the
> footnote markers and firing the event when the footnote marker changed
> regions? If that's what you're getting at, it might be good to generalize
> the idea to a change in fragmentation, or even a change to the box tree.

Yes,t hat is correct. I would also use it for headlines that appear in the
title of contents and eventually (once that is programmed) also in the case
of word index terms.

Basically it would be monitoring for a change in the return value of *
getRegionsByContent* for an individual element.

> If we only had the two events below, then your footnote management would
> still need to use the second event and check all of the footnote markers
> for a change in their containing regions.

That is correct.

> >-- One event for when new regions are needed or too many (change on
> >firstEmptyRegionIndex and/or overset)

This event would only be listened for by the page creation part. Currently
it listens to the regionlayoutevent, and then performs checks whether there
has actually been any change to the number of pages needed.

--
Johannes Wilm
Booktype Developer