Re: Media feature based on parent width instead of viewport/device width

The true problem is not really the existence of loop, but more the size and the hidden complexity of the loop. At the point we figure out there’s a new matching rule to apply, the browser already did a lot of computations, which simply go waste because it was based on incomplete nformation (even if we needed to restart once, this is a huge loss already).

And things are even worse: actually, the problem is exponential because the if you have “n” nesteds ‘local media’ levels, you will need at least 2^n relayout operations, even if you disable any third-order loop (like: if the first element is 200px wide, its child whould be 100px high, but then it changes the row in which the element is located, which makes it 300px wide, ...).

The actual performances would be awful, and ultimately developers would not be happy. The crucial part here is to avoid the nesting issue. As soon as you can get rules applied in a single layout pass, you’re back in the “ok-ish” world.

That’s why staged layout is so important.

The issue with staged layout is that it requires the layout of the “viewport” ancestrors not to depend on the layout of the “viewport” children, and currently no layout mode in CSS can guarantee that. This is what I’m trying to change with ‘display: viewport’.

The interesting bit of the day is that the team at Sencha did use a “polyfill” for staged layout for their “speedy HTML5 Facebook app for iOS” which involves... true viewports (yes, you got it: <iframe>’s).
  So the Fastbook app is the first to make use of a brand new “Sandbox Container” which programmatically detaches complex views and renders them into their own iframes
The problem with this approach is that you loose a lot of memory (new document, new JavaScript hierarchy, new security context, ...) and add marshalling costs when you decide to transmit information between frames; also event bubbling get really messed up.
  But it does come at a cost: events, positioning, styling, and JavaScript code have to be proxied between the parent window and the child sandboxes. This is complicated, so without a robust and properly architected framework, it is very difficult to implement.
You don’t have this problem if you use ‘CSS-based local viewports’ and scoped style sheets.