Re: [css3-text] line-break needs a normative definition

Glenn Adams wrote:

> > Kato-san has already pointed out the lack of prioritization
> > between the definitions of 'word-break' and 'line-break' as
> > currently specified in CSS3 Text. [1]
> >
> > But I think a larger issue is that this property defines three
> > levels of breaking, 'loose', 'normal', and 'strict' with only
> > suggestions as to what the exact meaning of these levels are.
> >
> >   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#line-break
>
> What do you mean by "suggestions"? The current spec provides
> sufficiently precise meaning for these terms, at least sufficiently
> specific to implement and test in Webkit [1][2][3].
>
> On the point of optionality that you make, I agree it would be best
> to NOT mark the feature as optional.

I'm not arguing that it's not possible to implement, I'm saying the
spec wording is a "recommendation", not a normative set of
requirements.

>From the definition of 'line-break' in CSS3 Text [1]:

  CSS distinguishes between three levels of strictness in
  the rules for text wrapping. The precise set of rules in
  effect for each level is up to the UA and should follow
  language conventions. However, this specification does
  recommend that [... list of suggestions ...].

The definitions of the levels need to be normative, even if that just
means defining what's in the spec now as a minimum set of requirements
for each level.  Along with no "this is optional" baloney.

Regards,

John Daggett

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#line-break