Re: [css-variables] Different syntax for variable definition and use

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM, François REMY
<fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> |  I highly doubt you want only specified values.  If that's the case,
> |  then the feature is just syntax sugar for declaring a variable and
> |  using it twice.
>
> No, this is not 'only' a syntax sugar. This is a reference to the specified
> value of a normal property. How is 'currentColor' or 'self.background-color'
> a syntax sugar to defining a variable and using it both on 'color' and, say,
> 'outline-color' ? Defining a custom property trigger inheritance, requires
> additionnal memory storage, needs to be coordinated accross files (what if
> you have another, readonly file that specify the background color on an
> element which you want to have an outline that matches its background color
> ?)

Whoops, got my terms wrong.  "specified" value does indeed include inheritance.

It would be slightly weird, though.  Inheritance gives you the
computed value of your parent's property, but variables could only
give you the specified.  That might not be a big deal, I dunno.