Re: [css-variables] Different syntax for variable definition and use

On Aug 30, 2012 1:13 AM, "Jens O. Meiert" <jens@meiert.com> wrote:

> > > “The hyphen (‐) is a punctuation mark used to join words and to
> > > separate syllables of a single word.” [1]
> >
> > I would like to state that I don't find this line of reasoning
particularly
> > compelling: The majority of CSS authors are not linguists either... but
they
> > are intimately familliar with css and with the modularization of CSS
>
> Looking at the spec, the thread, and alternatives I think this is all
> a fine mess :P
>
> What is so wrong with
>
> bar { var(foo): 20px; }
> baz { margin: var(foo); }
>
> …?
>
> --
> Jens O. Meiert
> http://meiert.com/en/

A.  It requires change to the core grammar and has no kind of precedent.

B.  Same as $ on the left, some significant % of people think it's useage.
I am not pulling this out of thin air:  This is illustrated over and over
on this list, comments to related articles, linked comments to those
articles (via sites like hn, reddit, twitter, etc.)

Aside from that though, there is a good proposal on the table that, while
it has a few rough edges or things you could bikeshed on seems to have
cleared a lot of acceptance hurdles... what is the damning argument against
it really?  Would something like this satisfy it?

-x-foo:   25px;
width:    val(-x-foo);