Re: [css3-text] Better wording than "known to be language X" (was line-break questions/comments

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp> wrote:

> >> I'll ask i18n WG for any better wording suggestion. If you have
> >> good suggestion, that's appreciated too. If nobody can come up
> >> with better suggestion, I think we should conclude that the
> >> current wording is the best one. Does this sound reasonable?
>
> > The current language is unacceptable and misleading without
> > further clarification, as it implies textual/linguistic analysis.
> > If the following informative text were added in a new Section 1.4
> > "Conventions", then I would be satisfied:
> >
> > <quote>
> > A phrase of the form "known to be X" where X is a language
> > name, e.g., "known to be Japanese", is intended to be determined
> > using markup alone, and does not imply a requirement to perform
> > linguistic analysis (i.e., language recognition) of associated text
> > content."
> > </quote>
>
> The wording you suggested still overrides what content document spec
> defines, so I guess it is inappropriate for us to write this.

It is not intended to redefine content language. To make this clear, a
slight improvement would be:

> <quote>
> A phrase of the form "known to be X" where X is a language
> name, e.g., "known to be Japanese", is intended to be determined
> using the <a href="#content-language">content language</a> alone, and
does not imply a requirement to perform
> linguistic analysis (i.e., language recognition) of associated text
> content."
> </quote>

> HTTP meta header, Tools/Options, or system language are not "markup
> alone." Also, we should not prohibit content document format to use
> linguistic analysis; it's up to content document format to define this. CSS
> should be neutral to content document and should not force other specs to
> do something, if I understand correctly.
>
> It looks like you want an explicit statement in the case content document
> is HTML, so probably what you want is something like this:

No.

> <quote>
> For example, if the content language is HTML, the rule to determine the
> content language is defined in [[!HTML5]].
> </quote>
>
> But then I found this is almost complete copy of the text in the
> Terminology section[1], and looks redundant to me.
>
> <quote>
> Refer to the <i>content language</i> section for how UA should determine
> the content language.
> </quote>
>
> Does this work for you?

No. It does not address the problem that the phrase "known to be X" is
completely undefined and not related (in the text) to content language.