Re: [css3-values] viewport units (v*) and zoom

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM, François REMY
<fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> According to the specification, the value of the v* units depends on the
> zoom level since "The viewport-percentage lengths equal to 1% of the width
> of the initial containing block". When you zoom in or out, the width of the
> initial containing block (viewport) should change, as well as the value of
> these units.

Thanks. This was my understanding as well, but my experience with
Chromium was that the implementation failed to do this.

> On my computer, both IE and Chrome (the browsers which support vh/vh)
> reacted properly to zoom changes, so the problem must be somewhere else :

[snip]

> Without test cases, it's really difficult to take action on your message.As
> you can see, I wrote my own test case and found it non-conclusive. If you
> have another issue, please report a striped down test case where we can test
> the buggy functionnality. Also, please try in both IE and Chrome and report
> a bug to one of the two only if it's an implementation-specific issue as
> this mailing list can't possibly handle all the browser-related bugs, only
> the spec related ones.

I have prepared a test case, available from
http://labrador.oblomov.eu/test/vhzoom.html
I tested it with the HTML and CSS validators available online, and
aside from the validator not understanding the vw unit I found no
problems.
I've also managed to test the document under IE9, and it seems to have
the same issue as Chromium.

I'm ready to report the bug to both implementations, but before doing
that I'd like to be sure that it is actually a bug and not mine
misunderstanding of the way the units are supposed to work. If anybody
here confirms that according to the CSS in the test case the resulting
layout should be with the outer box filling the viewport almost
completely while still only holding as many horizontal inner boxes as
allowed by the initial font size, I'll report the issues. Otherwise, I
would appreciate if anybody can explain what I did wrong in setting up
the CSS.

Thanks again,

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta