Re: Region overflow proposal

On 8/7/12 2:17 AM, "Florian Rivoal" <florianr@opera.com> wrote:

>> Styling an Œ::nth-region()¹ pseudo-element with the Œoverflow¹ property
>>
>> has no effect;
>
>I think it should be allowed. If you set overflow to something else than
>region on the 3rd region, no 4th region will be generated. But I find it
>reasonable to be able to express "when overflowing, clone this box up to
>5
>instances, then hide whatever's left".
>
>#foo { overflow:region; }
>#foo::nth-region(5) { overflow:hidden; }

Instead of this method for limiting how many repeated boxes are generated,
what if we said that:

#foo { overflow:region(5); }

To mean only 5 region boxes will be generated for this element? We would
have to choose a single overflow value for that last box (probably hidden)
but we'd avoid weirdness like this:

#foo { overflow:region; }
#foo::nth-region(5) { overflow:hidden; }

#foo::nth-region(6) { ignored:stuff; }

Thanks,

Alan