Re: Pseudo-element proposal

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I love that this is available in JS, a few of us have been proposing
>> that this is an excellent way to get things rolling, etc...
>>
>> However, even in another thread today we were discussing prefixing,
>> forward compatibility, etc. and I feel like suggesting that this would
>> be even better if it did not try to literally polyfill something in
>> the native space which may or may not be implemented in the future
>> with similar/partial APIs or differences.  Does anyone else think that
>> it might be better to prefix the experimental pseudos?  In other
>> words, instead of:
>>
>> ::nth-last-pseudo(column, odd)
>>
>> It would be something like...
>>
>> ::-x-nth-last-pseudo(column, odd)
>>
>> I suppose see related threads for all of the rationale, but this
>> creates a nice author opt-in model which is clearly emulated at this
>> early phase -- shouldn't break when native are available even if there
>> are differences, etc...
>
> I don't understand what you are trying to get at here.  Experimental
> things are vendor-prefixed as long as they're experiments.  We don't
> give them a different *name* while they're experiments.
>
> ~TJ

This is a very early experiment indeed :)  I don't understand what you
mean by this particular distinction either Tab... can you explain?

How is turning nth-last-pseduo into -x-nth-last-pseudo any different
in terms of naming than, for example -moz-any, which not even be
called "any" in the end (it's "matches" in Selectors level 4)?  In
other words - why do you stress something about giving them a
different name above?