Re: Region overflow proposal

On 8/6/12 8:25 PM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

>At the last face-to-face meeting, we had a discussion [1], I believe
>somewhat inspired by the proposal in [2], about a mechanism for
>creating regions by auto-generating boxes in response to overflow.
>
>I've written a draft further fleshing out this idea.  This draft is
>available at:
>

>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2012Aug/att-0005/Overview.
>html

There are some very good ideas here.

No matter how this proposal ends up interacting the CSS Regions, I think
'repeat' would be a better term than 'regions' for the overflow value.
Repeat actually describes the default behavior, and 'region' may be too
generic and overused for this proposal (or even the purpose we put it to
in CSS Regions). So my vote is in favor of issue 3.

In example 5, have you considered how to style the second column of the
second (or subsequent) region boxes? This might become a use case for
chaining pseudo-elements.

An alternative to max-lines could be an nth-line pseudo-element. Setting
break-after on ::nth-line(3) with an auto-height box would accomplish the
same thing as max-lines:3, and nth-line could be put to other uses as well.

Thanks,

Alan