Re: [css3-ui][css4-ui] block-overflow property

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:27 AM, Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com> wrote:
> "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com> wrote:
>>> Basically, remove as many boxes (starting from the bottom) as necessary
>>> to fit the <string> box (which should be placed right after the last box
>>> that was kept)? And then some blahblah about corner-cases when no boxes
>>> at all can fit, and what to do when there's not even enough space for
>>> the <string> box?
>>
>> Yes, that's a better way to phrase what I was trying to say.
>>
>>> Maybe something like that. Not sure what to do with floats and
>>> absolutely positioned boxes, though. The current solutions (both the
>>> Webkit one and the Opera one) don't have to worry about such
>>> things. Then again, they don't allow for reliably specifying block and
>>> inline overflow separately, if that's something that we need.
>>
>> Not sure about floats.  Abspos shouldn't be affected.
>
> Not even if the containing block of the abspos is the very box that
> specifies block-overflow? I'm not sure either. Offsets caused by
> relative positioning should probably also be ignored in this step, so...

Yeah, you likely just want to pay attention to in-flow geometry, which
isn't affected by relpos.  This can overlap if you're doing weird
things, but we can't avoid everything.

Regarding floats, I think we should probably treat them like we do
with a page break that intersects a float, and just remove content
from the float the same way we remove it from the in-flow blocks.