Re: [css-flexbox] and vertical-align

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk
<news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
> "Simple" question: why flexbox is not using existing vertical-align property?
>
> Conceptually element under flex-direction:row is very close to
> display:table-row/table element with display:table-cell children.
> vertical-align works for such elements already including
> vertical-align:baseline.
>
> So is my question above.

Because the cross-axis isn't guaranteed to be vertical in any way.

Also, using vertical-align on table-cells was a horrible mistake in
the first place, with the confusion it causes persisting to this day -
vertical-align on an inline element means "align me relative to the
line I'm in", while vertical-align on a table-cell means "align my
contents".  That's just ridiculous, and we shouldn't perpetuate the
problem.

> If vertical-align for some reasons does not comply flexbox ideology then
> how flex-item-align and vertical-align shall interact? For example what this
> will mean:
>
> el {
>  flex-item-align: bottom;
>  vertical-align:top;
> }
>
> ?

They don't interact.  They do completely different things.  (And,
assuming that "el" is a flexbox item, vertical-align has no effect on
it.)