Re: [css-device-adapt] arbitrary resolutions

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com> wrote:
> The resolution descriptor in @viewport takes 3 values:
>
> auto
> device
> <resolution>
>
> In this context, resolution currently defines dpi to mean "css pixels per
> physical inch", which is the exact opposite of what dpi means everywhere
> else. I first though of
> fixing it to mean the same thing as elsewhere (physical dots per css inch),
> but upon further reflexion, I think we should just remove the ability to
> specify a <resolution> here.
>
> There are good use cases for auto and device, but I am quite convinced that
> using explicit numbers here is always a misguided thing.
>
> Therefore, I propose that we just allow 2 values (auto and device), and drop
> <resolution>.

At minimum, I definitely think it should be reversed - "dots" is
gaining a consistent meaning here, and it would be nice to match it.

If you don't know of any particular use-cases for explicitly
controlling the resolution, though, then I'm fine with dropping it
entirely.