Re: [css3-flexbox] Baseline of flexbox (Was: [CSSWG] Minutes [...] 2012-04-18)

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM, Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com> wrote:
> Thank you for addressing these issues!
>
> fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> writes:
>
>>   - RESOLVED: Baseline of flexbox is baseline of baseline-aligned boxes if
>>               any, otherwise take first child
>
> Use the baseline of baseline-aligned boxes _on the first line_, I
> suppose?
>
> And if there are no such boxes, use the "first child"? I would expect
> "first box on the first line", not "first child". What if the first
> child has a low flex-order and ends up on the seventh line? Still makes
> sense to use it?

Good points!

Yes, the baseline of the first line.  And yes, the first child after
flex-order rearranging.

> One more question regarding the situation where there are no baseline
> aligned boxes (on the first line). The child to use is obviously not
> baseline aligned then. What does "take first child" mean? Should we
> still use that box's baseline, or should we use the cross-end
> content/border/margin edge or something like that?
>
> I'm probably asking because
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/tables.html#height-layout says:
>
>    "If a row has no cell box aligned to its baseline, the baseline of
>     that row is the bottom content edge of the lowest cell in the row."
>
> Table cells don't expose their (hypothetical) baseline in any way if
> they are not baseline aligned. My mind may be contaminated by too much
> table layout work for too long, but if this makes sense, it probably
> makes sense to flexbox items too. :)

You use the box's baseline, as defined by it's display type.

I... can't actually find the definition of an inline-table's baseline.