Re: [css] Proposal: making Shorthand Hex Colors even shorter (16 grayscale shades)

On 7/09/2011 5:26 AM, Marat Tanalin wrote:

> 2. As for alpha opacity. The only reason why RGB components can be
> represented as hex is that each RGB component has exactly 256
> possible values _by nature_.

This is an statement that has no foundation. There is 256 possible
values since all values must be transmitted as binary code which has
only two value (either 0 or 1). Computing has expanded this in multiples
like so:

   2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024.

A calculator set to decimals (dec), will change the value 'FF' to '255'
when hexadecimals (hex) is selected.

RGB color space can not be said to be *by nature*. Please read about RGB
color space [1].

   | RGB is a convenient color model for computer graphics
   | because the human visual system works in a way that
   | is similar — though not quite identical — to an RGB
   | color space.

As I know from personal experimentation, color and human perception of
it is far more mysterious than what is known in the mainstream science,
but is is far from the scope of this thread.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_space

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/