Re: [css] Proposal: making Shorthand Hex Colors even shorter (16 grayscale shades)

On 7/09/2011 12:54 PM, Shane Stephens wrote:

>> RGB components are represented by 256 values precisely because of
>> representational issues - that is, each component is represented by a single
>> byte.
>>

> Woah. That's a horrible sentence. I blame the fact that I'm sick...

Can relate somewhat.

>  Let me try again:
>
> There's no reason in color theory why RGB components should be confined to
> 256 values. They're this way because the underlying representation is a
> byte; which as it turns out is the same as the underlying representation of
> the alpha component.
>
> Cheers,
>      -Shane

I think the reason we have 256 colors per channel is that when tuples of
this can generate 16,777,216 colors, it goes way over the 6 millions
colors that human can differentiate and a larger share of these 6
million color are outside the sRGB gamut. Anyway the logical expansion
would be #RRRGGGBBB and 4,096 colors per channel is just insane.

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/