Re: User Agents Do Not Implement Absolute Length Units, Places Responsive Design in Jeopardy

OK, I accept your argument. In fact, you just have transformed the problem
from "we need to have physical units" to "let's make the pixel unit virtual
to match a physical range". But then, how well must a "px" match 1/96 inch
per dot ? Can it be 1/120ipd? Can it be 1/180ipd? I'm ready to accept that
the size of a screen can remain unknown in the detail, but you should always
have an order of magnitude available to help your adapt your layout.

Could it be possible for a website to specify a "target resolution"? At this
time, we can only ask for a "zoom" level (ie: how much does a "px" unit
translate in physical pixels). The problem is that this data is linked to
the DPI resolution and not to the site "per se". Maybe a great resolution
would be something like that :

If the device's (approximative) dpi is in the desired range, the site is
shown unzoomed. But if it doesn't fit the range, the zoom is computed to
match as closely as possible the median value between the minimal and
maximal dpi value (a physical snapping could be used to round translations
like 1px -> 1.85physPixel to 1px -> 2physPixel).

Even if there's a certain range of DPI I'm needing to care about instead of
one, I can deal whit the fact an inch is a little bigger or smaller than one
inch. But at least, I can test my website on a range of device and see it
works well on those devices. But if a new "strange" device appear, it should
do fine (or at least as fine as it is possible) because it tries to
"emulate" the kind of devices I tested my website on.

As a side note, the "dpi" I'm talking about is not especially the "true"
device DPI, but the perceived DPI of the user. This need the screen vendor
need to provide that info, halas. If it doesn't, the browser will have to
guess that based on the general usages of the device.

To summarize, what I propose is to accept the fact there's an uncertainty
but limit that uncertainty to an acceptable level to the developer. That
level can vary from developer to developer depending on the time he has to
adapt his layout to more different DPI's and screen resolution.