Re: [css3-gcpm] Named strings: place of assignment

I wrote:

 >  > Based on the above considerations, the tentative suggestion would be
 >  > that the assignment is considered to occur in exactly one place for an
 >  > element, namely at the start of that element, and based on content box;
 >  > or the location of the placeholder in the case of out-of-flow elements
 >  > (including display:none, assuming the currently specified behaviour of
 >  > string-set continuing to apply despite display:none).
 >  >
 >  > The behaviour for bidi would be based on logical (i.e. in-source-document)
 >  > order, which happens to be a conceptual match for the choice of placing
 >  > out-of-flow things according to their placeholder (source location)
 >  > rather than visual position.
 >
 > I'll try to formulate this into spec-language along with the other
 > changes due to your messages on this topic.

Here's my proposed text, which is now in the editor's draft [1]:

  The assignment is considered to take place on the first page where a
  content box representing the element occurs. If the element does not
  have any content boxes (e.g., if 'display: none' is set), the
  assignment is considered to take place on the page where the first
  content box would have occured if the element had been in the normal
  flow.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm

This may not represent your suggested priciples fully, but I don't
think it makes any practical difference?

Cheers,

-h&kon