Re: [CSS21] 3 editorial modifications in § 15.5 Small-caps: the 'font-variant' property

Le Mer 12 octobre 2011 11:39, Chris Lilley a écrit :
> On Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 2:42:46 AM, Gérard wrote:
>
> GT> "
> GT> It is acceptable (but not required) in CSS 2.1 if the small-caps font
> is a
> GT> created by taking a normal font and replacing the lower case letters
> by
> GT> scaled uppercase characters.
> GT> "
> GT> section 15.5 Small-caps: the 'font-variant' property
> GT> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#small-caps
>
> GT> I propose to
>
> (two good changes, omitted)
>
> GT> 3- change "letters" to "characters": I don't see why the sentence
> GT> unexpectedly mentions letters and then characters.
>
> Both letters and characters are incorrect here. Firstly, one can't scale a
> character but one can scale a glyph. Secondly, it could be misread as an
> actual substitution of characters (which would show up in the DOM).
>
> GT> So, with those 3 modifications, it would read:
>
> "
> It is acceptable (but not required) in CSS 2.1 if the small-caps font is
> created by taking a normal font and replacing the lowercase glyphs by
> scaled uppercase glyphs.
> "

Chris,

Section 15.2
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#algorithm
also needs a bit of tuning:

"
where all lowercase letters are replaced by upper case letters.
"

which, I think, should be replaced with

"
where all lowercase characters are replaced by uppercase characters.
"

There are some characters which are not considered letters but which can
be uppercased.

--------------

"scaling" versus "scaling down"

"
by electronically scaling uppercase letters from a normal font.
"

Another thing that I thought with regards to the verb scale (and scaled
and scaling; and that applies to section 15.5 as well): why it isn't said
"scaling down" ?

In my opinion, it should read

"
by electronically scaling down uppercase glyphs from a normal font.
"

In section 15.5, I think it should be saying
"
(...) by scaled down uppercase glyphs (...)
"

regards, Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011