Re: [CSS21] 3 editorial modifications in § 15.5 Small-caps: the 'font-variant' property

On Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 2:42:46 AM, Gérard wrote:

GT> "
GT> It is acceptable (but not required) in CSS 2.1 if the small-caps font is a
GT> created by taking a normal font and replacing the lower case letters by
GT> scaled uppercase characters.
GT> "
GT> section 15.5 Small-caps: the 'font-variant' property
GT> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#small-caps

GT> I propose to

(two good changes, omitted)

GT> 3- change "letters" to "characters": I don't see why the sentence
GT> unexpectedly mentions letters and then characters.

Both letters and characters are incorrect here. Firstly, one can't scale a character but one can scale a glyph. Secondly, it could be misread as an actual substitution of characters (which would show up in the DOM).

GT> So, with those 3 modifications, it would read:

"
It is acceptable (but not required) in CSS 2.1 if the small-caps font is
created by taking a normal font and replacing the lowercase glyphs by
scaled uppercase glyphs.
"

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG