Re: [css3-animations] display:none, visibility:hidden and animations

I don't think that performance considerations enter into this. Whatever
optimizations are made in the presence of a "display: none" subtree can
continue to be made, with the results applying to animation state while the
subtree root is "display: none". For example, if I've got:

<A><B><C></C></B></A>

and A is "display: none", then directly animated properties on B should
report with their current interpolated values when I call getComputedStyle.
However, if I'm animating the width of B and I try to getComputedStyle of C,
then C's width will be auto (as currently happens for C if A is "display:
none" and C doesn't explicitly set a width).

Basically I would propose that under the influence of "display: none"
animations should continue to run and be allowed to start and stop. While
"display: none" applies, an animation is nothing more than a timer value
until getComputedStyle is called on a relevant element or "display: none"
stops applying:
* if getComputedStyle is called, the explicitly animated properties are
updated to their current value and the getComputedStyle algorithm runs as
per normal under the conditions of "display: none" with these explicit
values taken into account
* if "display: none" stops applying, the explicitly animated properties are
updated to their current value and a full style recalculation occurs to the
subtree (as per normal when "display: none" stops applying)

This has two desirable properties:
(1) "display: none" and animations are mutually transparent to each other
(2) there are no unexpected performance overheads when running display: none
animations

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    -Shane