Re: [css3-lists] Should some properties not inherit into markers?

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 3:12 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 18:44:19 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Øyvind brought up in another thread that some browsers block some
>> properties from inheriting into list markers.  His cursory testing
>> produced this list:
>>
>>> text-transform: applied by IE
>>> font-style, font-weight, font-family: applied by all
>>> font-variant: applied by IE and WebKit
>>> text-decoration: applied for 'inside' only by Fx3.6 and Opera Next
>>> (seemed
>>> to make some sense but we'll probably revert this now that we're the odd
>>> one
>>> out)
>>> letter-spacing: applied by all except Fx
>>
>> I suspect that most other properties are inherited normally.
>
> One thing I forgot was that we also had to pay some consideration to bidi.
> But it looks like the ED already has done that (it has "unicode-bidi:
> isolate" on li::marker).

Yeah, I made that change some time ago based on recommendations from
the "Additional Requirements for bidi in HTML" group that I
participated in last year.

>> The only ones from this list that seem potentially worth looking into
>> are text-transform and font-variant.
>
> Why not text-decoration? Does anyone from Mozilla happen to know why they
> changed it? Just because Gecko was the odd one out, just by chance, or
> because they encountered some content relying on it?

Since there was only one browser blocking text-decoration, I didn't
include it in the question.