Re: Unprefixing CSS properties

Let me elaborate a bit more on what we discussed and why we thought these
could be unprefixed. Note, I never expected everyone to agree on all of
these. I'll take whatever we can get.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> 2D Transforms: all properties
> 3D Transforms: all properties
> Transitions: all properties
> Animations: all properties (responses to feedback urgently need to be
> added to the spec, and that should probably happen first)

These properties are already widely used unprefixed in public sites, and
with prefixes for vendors that haven't even shipped support yet (which are
therefore probably untested copy and paste). Thus, implementations and the
spec are constrained to behave much like Webkit so prefixes aren't buying
us much. Example:
http://www.pcx360.com/games/169-Deus_Ex__Human_Revolution.htm
Currently not working as intended in Firefox trunk because it uses
-moz-transform-style in a way that assumes Webkit behavior, not spec
behavior.

On the other hand, there are sites and demos that use only Webkit prefixes
(and people keep writing new ones). Hopefully unprefixing will make more
such sites non-Webkit-only.

Conditional: nested @-rules (probably no-one would have prefixed this
> anyway)

No-one generally prefixes this kind of syntax change, plus IIRC it's
already supported unprefixed in Webkit.

Images: image() value, 'object-*', 'image-*'

These properties seem very simple and stable.

Text: 'tab-size', 'hyphens',

Simple and stable. Implementations shipped by multiple browsers. 'hyphens'
has a large degree of UA-specific flexibility anyway, by necessity.

'text-align-last', 'text-decoration-*'

Simple and stable. Implemented by various browsers.

> Values: a subset of calc() (the intersection of what IE9 and Gecko
> implement), the new units

The units are very simple and most of them shipped unprefixed in IE9.
calc() shipped unprefixed in IE9.

Selectors 4: :matches, :any-link, :nth-match, :nth-last-match, :column,
> :nth-column, :nth-last-column

:matches shipped prefixed in Gecko and Webkit. All of them seem simple and
stable.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us