Re: New CSS rule suggestion

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 16, 2011, at 12:58 AM, "Florian Rivoal" <florianr@opera.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:24:57 +0100, Shane <shanept@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
>> I have a suggestion for a background text watermark rule. Although it is
>> achievable with an image or a fair amount of HTML and CSS use, it is far
>> more practical to be able to put in place a simple rule rather than
>> going to all the extra effort to achieve the same goal.
>>
>> Syntax in my mind would be something like this:
>> watermark: text, font, font-size, x-position, y-position, color;
>>
>> Through the use of this rule, a developer may cut down on resources used
>> on the page, and/or code. This will noticeably speed up load time if
>> used extensively, but more importantly will speed up development time,
>> spending less time on creating these images or fiddling with new
>> elements and rules to get a 'watermark' on an element.
>

> I this should be fairly easy to implement, but might not be all that useful.
>
> Watermarks are usually used so that when the image is taken out of context, it
> is still possible to identify where it is coming from. That, or to make sure
> that the image cannot cleanly be reused without approval, as the watermark
> would make it obvious that it was being misused.
>
> Making the watermark in CSS instead of putting it in the image would make it
> useless in these two use cases.
>
> Do you have another use case in mind for watermarks, that doesn't suffer from
> the watermark not being there when you look at the image out of context?

I think Shane is just talking about a design effect, not a image protection feature. Traditionally, watermarks were put into the paper, and could be lightly seen if you looked closely. For digital media, the equivalent would be a very light background. Shane's request is essentially to be able to have something like 'background-text' instead of just 'background-image'.