RE: [css3-background] Default shadow color

[fantasai:]
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > [fantasai:]
> >> Ok, if we have interop on currentColor, we can update the spec that
> way.
> >> I'm kindof surprised, because if you do that for text-shadows, it's
> >> really almost never the right color.
> >
> > For text-shadow, I can understand how it's a weird default but that is
> > also the interop behavior today. There might be a better default -
> > would something half way between foreground and background colors work
> > better ? - but the interop and <shadow> consistency are already there.
> > I also expect authors to want to pick their shadow colors carefully so
> > I don't think it will be a burden in practice. It really is a
> testability/interop nitpick more than anything else.
>
> I know that I've never written a text-shadow without an explicit color,
> and have never seen one in the wild without a color either.
> They may exist, but I believe they're very minority.  We don't really have
> to worry about it.

I agree we probably don't have to worry about it being currentColor by
default. But from a spec standpoint, the fewer undefined 'UA-chosen'
knobs the better for implementors, testcases etc. If it doesn't matter
in practice then there is no cost in picking a default and eliminate
the ambiguity.

I would suspect, however, that Elika is right in that a color is specified
every single time *because* the default is not really useful. Especially
for text. But that is what we have so we might as well specify implementation
reality.