RE: [css3-background] Default shadow color

[fantasai:]
> On 03/03/2011 04:00 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> >
> > Be that as it may, how can anyone *depend* on it being a shade of gray
> > if it's undefined and UA-chosen ? If all browsers do use the same
> > shade of gray then we should specify that.
> >
> > Last, I see the shadow matching currentColor in Opera 11, Firefox 4 and
> IE9.
> > (Chrome seems to have a problem with a missing color). So if someone
> > does depend on getting 'a shade of gray' it seems they're broken.
>
> Ok, if we have interop on currentColor, we can update the spec that way.
> I'm kindof surprised, because if you do that for text-shadows, it's really
> almost never the right color.

For text-shadow, I can understand how it's a weird default but that is also
the interop behavior today. There might be a better default - would something
half way between foreground and background colors work better ? - but the
interop and <shadow> consistency are already there. I also expect authors to
want to pick their shadow colors carefully so I don't think it will be a burden
in practice. It really is a testability/interop nitpick more than anything else.

Thanks !