Re: [CSS21] Issue 192 - floats and shortened line boxes

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> (Issue 192 is tracked at http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-192)
> On Wednesday) 01 September 2010 21:19:56 Anton Prowse wrote:
>> I also disagree with dbaron's change for issue 2, since the sentence
>> in the spec is talking about moving line boxes (ie creating a gap
>> between line boxes) not about flowing content (which is adequately
>> handled by the preceding sentence in the spec), as David himself
>> noted in [6].
>
> I think that is the question here: do we move line boxes or content?
>
> What we want is that the *content* moves, viz., to the next line box
> that is wide enough to hold it (or the first line box that isn't
> shortened, whichever comes first). The shortened line boxes remain where
> they are. They just happen to stay empty.
>
> David's rewrite removes the treacherous word "it" from the old text and
> makes the referent explicit:
>
>    If a shortened line box is too small to contain any content after
>    the float, then *that content* [my emphasis. BB] is shifted downward
>    until either it fits or there are no more floats present.
>
> There are no doubt still better ways to express it, but this does the
> trick.

As I pointed out in
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Mar/0059.html>
(just sent to the list a few hours ago), this text does not match any
browser implementation.  In all implementations, if a float would
shrink the available space such that content on the same line that
precedes the float in the source wouldn't fit, the float moves down to
the next line, rather than the preceding content breaking across
lines.

~TJ