Re: [css3-speech] reading list-style markers

Thanks Fantasai!

How does that sound?

readers to announce the nesting depth of list items, or more
generally, to indicate additional structural information pertaining to
complex hierarchical content. The verbosity of these additional audio
cues and/or speech output can usually be controlled by users, and
contribute to increasing usability. These navigation aids are
implementation-dependent, but it is recommended that user-agents
supporting the CSS Speech module ensure that these additional audio
cues and speech output don't generate redundancies or create
inconsistencies (for example: duplicated or different list item
numbering scheme). </p>

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-speech/#lists

Cheers, Daniel

On 14 Jun 2011, at 10:35, fantasai wrote:

> On 06/13/2011 09:20 PM, Daniel Weck wrote:
>> Fantasai, would you like to follow-up on Charles' updated proposal
>> "user-agent should announce the nesting depth of list items
>> in some implementation-specific manner"?
>> Or do you mean by "have the option of formatting them differently"
>> that you recommend completely removing the "nesting depth"
>> requisite, and not requiring any additional speech output than the
>> list item marker itself?
>> Obviously we could consider an additional CSS-Speech property to
>> allow authors to toggle on/off structural announcements (i.e.
>> speech output not directly inferred by document text), but I'm not
>> sure this is a good idea given the wide array of possible
>> cue combinations that can be generated when navigating list / table
>> structures.
>
> It should be a UA decision of whether and how to indicate nesting
> structure,
> and the user should be able to control that. We can suggest
> indicating the
> nesting level as something to consider, but making it a testable
> requirement
> is imo overreaching what CSS Speech should be doing. This is not a
> usability
> spec. It's a technology spec.
>
> ~fantasai

Daniel Weck