Re: [CSS21] 'overflow' on 'table'/'inline-table'

Le Mer 20 juillet 2011 2:39, Øyvind Stenhaug a écrit :
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 01:10:13 +0200, Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Le Mar 19 juillet 2011 6:37, Øyvind Stenhaug a écrit :
>>> Presumably as part of the cleanup for issue 120, section 11.1.1 now
>>> says
>>> that 'overflow' "Applies to:	block containers" and that "This property
>>> specifies whether content of a block container element is clipped" [1].
>>> However, multiple tests in the testsuite assume that it applies to
>>> 'table'
>>> and 'inline-table' elements, which are not block containers
>>> [2][3][4][5].
>>

>> Øyvind,
>>
>>> From reading the definition in § 9.2.1 Block-level elements and block
>> boxes [7]
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-boxes
>> table boxes are not block containers.
>
> Yes, as I said.
>
>> So, those testcases seem invalid to me.
>
> I considered whether to report this here as a spec bug or to
> public-css-testsuite as a testsuite bug. Given the resolution in [6] the
> former seemed more likely to be correct. Though I guess one could still
> consider the testcases invalid as long as they don't match the actual
> current spec text.

They don't match the current spec text. But even after a spec correction
in § 11.1.1, assuming that overflow can apply to table boxes, then 2
testcases ([2] and [3]) would still need to be adjusted.

>>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#propdef-overflow
>>> [2]
>>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/table-layout-002.htm
>>> [3]
>>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/table-layout-003.htm
>>> [4]
>>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/overflow-applies-to-013.htm
>>> [5]
>>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/overflow-applies-to-014.htm
>>> [6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Oct/0468.html
>>
>> [7] § 9.2.1 Block-level elements and block boxes [7]
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-boxes
>> "
>> Except for table boxes, which are described in a later chapter, and
>> replaced elements, a block-level box is also a block container box. A
>> block container box either contains only block-level boxes or
>> establishes
>> an inline formatting context and thus contains only inline-level boxes.
>> "

Even if the incoherence is fixed in the spec, it will be necessary to
emphasize that table boxes are not block containers IMO, so that no
confusion can arise.

Even if overflow can and does apply to tables and inline-tables, the
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/table-layout-002.htm
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/table-layout-003.htm
testcases will need to be reworked so that they test what the original
testcases were aiming at testing and not testing overflow applying to a
table.

Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011