Re: [css3-images] Gradient Magic

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Behnam Esfahbod ZWNJ <behnam@zwnj.org> wrote:
> Tab, I used "magic" only as a place-holder. In my implementation I
> used "-v", like "bottom-right" and "bottom-right-v". I don't like the
> idea of publicizing any magical behaviour too.

Right, I didn't think you were serious about a "magic" keyword being
used.  It was obviously just a placeholder.  ^_^

What I mean by "magical" behavior is that it's non-obvious.  I think
it would be confusing to have the gradient claim it's going between
two corners, but actually angle itself in a different direction.  I
had a similar problem with Brad's original "as-square" keyword, since
it only adjusted the angle of the gradient-line.

I think it's simpler and easier for authors to understand if the
transformation happens at the very end, so you can think of the
gradient being drawn as normal into a square, and then being
stretched.  That gives you a nice physical analog for what happens,
whereas understanding the other approaches requires you to manipulate
theoretical spec concepts.

~TJ