Re: [css3-images] Features Overview

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> 2011/7/6 Raphaël Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>:
>> I follow up this discussion thread. This issue has also been discussed
>> during the last Hypertext Coordination Group telecon [1].
>
> I can't find anything in the minutes talking about this issue.  Was it
> unminuted by accident?
>
>> Following these
>> discussions, we have added the following sentence to the spec:
>>
>> "Note that in the case of pixel-based clipping areas, application of those
>> areas to multi-resolutions visual media is undefined."
>>
>> in the section 4.2.2 [2].
>
> What's the reasoning for making it undefined?  If it's just "it's
> hard", then I don't find that acceptable.

For percent-based clipping fragments, it makes sense at all resolutions
(but perhaps having them integer-based is sub-optimal in many cases), but
for pixel-based ones, it is impossible to know the intent.
Does the format as a "default" version to apply the pixel clipping to? the
first one? last one? bigger one? The one that fit the display?
So it's not that it's hard, I just don't see how this could work reliably.

         ~~Yves