Re: [css3] support for filters

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 19:35, Paul Irish <paul.irish@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
>>
>> It would be useful to get some input from authors on what they see as useful canned filters.
>
> Additional effects mentioned by a single person are:
> feather, brightness, bump/displacement mapping, elliptical distortions, image fill, alpha masks, lighting effects, per color desaturate, wave distort, reflect, sparkles & rainbow effects, color matrix
> Interesting that brightness doesn't have a big demand. The rest of these probably out outside the bounds of these canned filters.

Reflections[1] and (alpha) masks[2] are already possible within
WebKit, but this would be a nice opportunity to get them standardized.
I do recon that, given its syntax and usage, the former might be more
appropriate as a candidate for Backgrounds L4.

Given Tab Atkins' intentions[3] to start working on a draft for a
Filter module, I've added him to the thread. He'll surely have
relevant ideas.

Kind regards,
Peter Beverloo

[1] http://webkit.org/blog/182/css-reflections/