Re: [css3] support for filters

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

> It would be useful to get some input from authors on what they see as
> useful canned filters.

So.. I held a little informal poll on twitter (where my followers are mainly
web designers/developers).
After getting responses from ~70 folks, I've aggregated the data.
Here are the full results in google spreadsheet: http://goo.gl/YSa8r

Results summary:
The most requested filters, by far, are: blur, saturation, compositing
modes, noise, and color levels.
A few folks also were interested in: sharpen, contrast, drop shadow (a la
brad's proposal), and chroma key.

There were so many requests for blending/compositing modes and unique
mentions of individual ones, that I could break out those, too.
See the chart on http://goo.gl/YSa8r for detail (multiply has the most
interest)

Additional effects mentioned by a single person are:
feather, brightness, bump/displacement mapping, elliptical distortions,
image fill, alpha masks, lighting effects, per color desaturate, wave
distort, reflect, sparkles & rainbow effects, color matrix
Interesting that brightness doesn't have a big demand. The rest of these
probably out outside the bounds of these canned filters.

Worth mentioning that recently there have been a few javascript libraries
people have been gravitating towards to apply these sort of effects:
http://mezzoblue.github.com/PaintbrushJS/demo/
http://peternitsch.net/bitmapdata.js/

Hope this data helps to illuminate authors' priorities.

Cheers