RE: [css3-text] Suppressing underlines propagated from ancestors

simetrical@gmail.com [mailto:simetrical@gmail.com] Aryeh Gregor wrote on
Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:30 PM
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Belov, Charles
> <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com> wrote:
> > My concern here from an accessibility viewpoint is that semantic (u
> > tag) and non-semantic (text-decoration: underline) uses of
> underline
> > are being conflated.
>
> Are you suggesting that the use-case of a purely
> presentational WYSIWYG editor is not legitimate because it's
> harmful to accessibility?  If not, I don't understand the
> relevance of what you're saying.  If you are saying that,
> well, I have to say I disagree, and apparently so do the
> implementers of every major browser, because that's exactly
> what contenteditable/execCommand() are meant to support.

No, I was suggesting that <span style="text-decoration:
underline"> and <u> not be considered interchangeable.

> Also, <u> is actually not a semantic element by anyone's standards.
> It's not currently valid HTML5.  Some people are trying to
> get it re-added as valid, but even then it's clearly just
> going to be a shorthand for <span style="text-decoration:
> underline">, not an element that has any meaning outside of a
> visual presentation.

Noted and thank you.  I'll follow up with this on the appropriate HTML5
list.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster