Re: [css3-text] Suppressing underlines propagated from ancestors

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com> wrote:
> My concern here from an accessibility viewpoint is that semantic (u tag)
> and non-semantic (text-decoration: underline) uses of underline are
> being conflated.

Are you suggesting that the use-case of a purely presentational
WYSIWYG editor is not legitimate because it's harmful to
accessibility?  If not, I don't understand the relevance of what
you're saying.  If you are saying that, well, I have to say I
disagree, and apparently so do the implementers of every major
browser, because that's exactly what contenteditable/execCommand() are
meant to support.

Also, <u> is actually not a semantic element by anyone's standards.
It's not currently valid HTML5.  Some people are trying to get it
re-added as valid, but even then it's clearly just going to be a
shorthand for <span style="text-decoration: underline">, not an
element that has any meaning outside of a visual presentation.